As a result of a petition presented by William P. Duval and Joseph M. White in 1828, a budget of $6,000 was approved for the building of the first St. Marks Lighthouse, designed by Winslow Lewis. This first lighthouse boasted hollow walls, an unusual practice for the time, and was vetoed by the Collector of Customs for St. Marks. A second tower was designed by Lewis’ partner, Calvin Knowlton. By 1842, erosion was threatening the safety of the lighthouse and avid supporters erected a third lighthouse, shown here in the 1960s, that is still standing today. This tower was built just in time; in September 1843, a hurricane and accompanying tidal wave destroyed the older lighthouse and Port Leon, a nearby town.